Archive for the ‘VDI’ tag
As evaluating VDI can be complex and time consuming, Microsoft has created the Virtual Desktop Starter Kit (VDI SK). The VDI SK is a PowerShell-based kit that can automate a non-production deployment of Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Services VDI solution. The kit deploys a Remote Desktop Connection Broker, the Remote Desktop Session Host, a Remote Desktop Web Access and the Remote Desktop Virtualization Host for testing and evaluation.
To learn more about the VDI SK please follow the link to the Technet Blog.
Image Source: Softpedia
Mary Jo Foley brought on Twitter to my attention that Microsoft has released new versions of their RDP clients for MacOS and iOS.
A new article on virtualization.com refers to new reference architecture documents available from Microsoft. Both documents include a blueprint for a secure, multi-tenant desktop hosting infrastructure based on Windows Server 2012 and System Center 2012 SP1 Virtual Machine Manager. To learn more please visit virtualization.com or download the documents directly from the Microsoft website.
VMware recently announced the availability of vCenter Operations for Horizon View 1.5. The vCenter Operations for Horizon View solution is a great tool to gain comprehensive visibility into your VDI’s infrastructure health, applications and performance.
Image source: operations_dashboard_800x600.jpg
- providing automated desktop operations capabilities; with Horizon View 5.2-near-equivalent scalability (8K concurrent users), for large-scale, multi-pod and multi-data center Horizon View deployments!
- auto-installing the data collection agents in the new vC Ops Mgr 1.5 architecture with View 5.2 installation, minimizing deployment and administrative effort. (The agent can be manually deployed to 5.0/5.1 installations as well.) – providing configurable metric sets for further scalability options
- delivering pre-configured “super-metrics” for functionality such as current/max concurrent user counts for license compliance
- enhancing the View Adapter dashboard, and additional self-health features to ensure proper functioning of vC Ops Mgr for View itself – providing enhanced User Interface features for improved product navigation and problem-solving
Product documentation: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vcops-view-pubs.html
VMware View 5.2 is now available for download! Here are the release notes:
What’s New in Horizon View 5.2
VMware Horizon View 5.2 delivers valuable enhancements to end user experience and ease of management, while further driving down the total cost of ownership for VDI.
What’s New with End User Experience
- Support for Windows 8 based desktops1
- Hardware Accelerated 3D Graphics1
- Improved video and VOIP communications with Microsoft Lync 2013 support4
- Streamlined access to View Desktops from Horizon2
- Easily connect to desktops from any device with HTML Access3
- Enhanced productivity from mobile devices with new ‘Unity Touch’ functionality3 and 4
What’s New with Ease of Management
- Large pool creation with elimination of 8 host limits, and multiple vLAN support
- View Administrator performance improvements with large numbers of desktops
- Accelerated provisioning and recompose operations.
- Tech Preview of a new Integrated Service Console in the vSphere Web Client1
- Support for vCenter Server Virtual Appliance based deployments
What’s New with Total Cost of Ownership
- Substantial storage capacity savings for persistent desktops with space-efficient (SE sparse) disk technology1
1 Requires use of vSphere 5.1 and subsequent patches
2 Requires use of VMware Horizon Suite
3 Requires use of additional VMware Horizon View 5.2 Feature Pack
4 Requires use of latest VMware Horizon View Clients