Archive for the ‘Mirage’ tag
VMware has released a new version of Horizon Mirage. The new version includes new features and bug fixes.
- Optimized storage disconnection handling
- SSL configuration option for Mirage Server installation
- CE Calculator
- Branch Reflector Enhancements
Tim has published a bit more information on his blog.
VMware has published a new version of Horizon Mirage with a few new features integrated.
- Endpoint centralization – Performance improvement when a large number of endpoint centralizations are performed, by reducing the number of IO operations required from the storage.
- Vista OS support – Horizon Mirage supports the disaster recovery use case for Vista, and Vista to Windows 7 migration.
- New help desk Web console – Help desk users can troubleshoot and fix endpoints using a Horizon Mirage Web interface.
- Client and file portal localization – The Horizon Mirage client and file portal now supports: French, German, Japanese and Simplified Chinese.
- Windows 7 in-place migration encrypts endpoints with Sophos 5.5 software – There is no need to decrypt endpoints during an in-place Windows 7 migration.
- Aligned Mirage license scheme to the Horizon user-based license scheme – Horizon Mirage no longer enforces license based on device count.
A few days ago VMware has published the new version 4.2 of Horizon Mirage. With that they’ve also published a new Knowledge Base article with best practices which can be found here: Best practices for upgrading VMware Mirage (2031711). My colleagues Sascha & Tim have already updated their test environment and have some useful tips. You can find the information on Tim’s blog. Please follow the link.
VMware has announced a new version of Horizon Mirage which should be launched shortly. The new version offers great new features. A main optimization is the improvement for the Endpoint centralization. VMware has modified Mirage so that the total number of IOPS required is reduced. This will lead into time savings during centralization. Large environments will have the most benefit from this change. Also the new Vista support will help customers. Microsoft Windows Vista is now supported for Disaster Recovery and for the Windows 7 migration.
- Added improvements for the Endpoint centralization
- Support for Windows Vista (Disaster Recovery, Windows Migration HW and in-place)
- New web based console for the the help desk
- Localization support for French, German, Japanese and Chinese languages
- Automated in-place Windows 7 migration with Sophos 5.5
- New licensing model
Image source: http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/files/2013/06/Mirage.png
If you’re interested in VMware’s Horizon Mirage solution, this might be a great option for you to get a free training. VMware is offering a 3,5 hours self paced eLearning course on the MyLearn platform. The course covers the main features of the solution as well as the common administration tasks and more.
Here’s a quick overview of the objectives:
Objectives: After completing the course, you should be able to:
• Define Horizon Mirage concepts and components.
• Explain how Horizon Mirage works.
• List some of the key business challenges that Horizon Mirage solves.
• Describe the main features and benefits of Horizon Mirage.
• Describe the Mirage components and how they fit into the Horizon Mirage architecture.
• Define the Horizon Mirage layers.
• Discuss the tasks for configuring a Horizon Mirage System.
• Describe the process for deploying Horizon Mirage to endpoints.
• Recognize the main function of each of the Horizon Mirage common wizards.
• Discuss the steps for capturing and assigning a Base Layer.
• List the steps for capturing and assigning an App Layer.
• Explain how an administrator uses the Disaster Recovery Wizard to restore a Central Virtualized Desktop (CVD).
• Describe the high level tasks for performing a Windows XP to Windows 7 migration.
• Recognize the main functions of the System Dashboard and how to use them to monitor your desktop deployment.
• Explain how to use the Client Status window.
• Describe how an end user performs a file-level restore and directory-level restore.
• Discuss how the Snooze option works.
• Recognize how the Sync Now option works.
If you haven’t heard about Mirage yet or you need more information please visit the VMware website which offers great whitepapers: http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop_virtualization/mirage/overview.html
A few days ago Tim published an article about Mirage Layering on his blog. Today he topped this one with a really great write up of the Application Layering in Mirage. This article gives you a great overview.
Image source: http://www.horizonflux.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/AssignAppLayer.png
My colleague Tim Arenz has published a great article about Mirage Layering on his blog. A great read for everyone who loves to learn more about Horizon Mirage.
Coming soon! The VMware Windows 7 Migration Twitter Chat! Join VMware invites everyone to the #vEUCchat on March 26th at 6am and 9am PST.
Who’s chatting with you?
It’s recommended to use Twitterchat. The Hashtag for the event is #vECUchat
Here’s what VMware says:
Windows XP support ends in April 2014, at which time any remaining XP deployments can leave organizations at risk for compliance violations, security vulnerabilities and undesired support costs associated with user satisfaction and productivity. This Twitter Chat is designed to help address important questions and challenges IT is currently mitigating, while offering industry insight and solutions to move toward successful implementations.
There is a great new guide online from VMware. If you want to setup a test environment for VMware Mirage, this is the resource to use. Please check the link below.
Don’t wait longer and go to www.vmware.com for downloading the brand new VMware Horizon Suite 1.0. Today VMware has released the new solution which included VMware Horizon Workspace, Horizon View and Horizon Mirage. I’ve already blogged about the details. If you havenT seen my earlier posts, please check these before.
Horizon Suite Overview: http://www.thatsmyview.net/2013/02/23/vmwaretv-horizon-suite-overview/
Horizon Workspace Overview: http://www.thatsmyview.net/2013/02/23/vmwaretv-vmware-horizon-workspace-overview/
Installing Horizon Workspace Part 1 (by Christian Gehring): http://www.thatsmyview.net/2013/02/27/installing-vmware-horizon-workspace-part-1/
Installing Horizon Workspace Part 2 (by Christian Gehring): http://www.thatsmyview.net/2013/02/27/installing-vmware-horizon-workspace-part-2/
Upgrade your VMware EUC products to Horizon Suite: http://www.thatsmyview.net/2013/03/04/horizon-upgrade-path-overview-with-skus/