Archive for the ‘Microsoft’ tag
A new article on virtualization.com refers to new reference architecture documents available from Microsoft. Both documents include a blueprint for a secure, multi-tenant desktop hosting infrastructure based on Windows Server 2012 and System Center 2012 SP1 Virtual Machine Manager. To learn more please visit virtualization.com or download the documents directly from the Microsoft website.
Today I am both – delighted and sad to announce that I’m leaving VMware. In the last 6 years I met a lot of great people and had a brilliant time with them. I’ve learned loads and I really enjoyed the fantastic VMworld’s in the US and in Europe where I could also meet my subscribers and the smart heads from the VMware community and VMUG’s. However I’m very delighted to join another global player in the IT industry. On 15th October 2013 I’ll start at Microsoft as a Solution Specialist for Devices. Of course I’ll continue to blog and tweet about End User Computing, but with a different focus. Since 2009 this blog was dedicated to VMware technologies which will change. I’ll introduce more topics of course related to mobility as this will be my specialty.
I’d like to thank all my friends/colleagues for fantastic 6 years and as you all know you not only meet once in the IT industry.
I hope that you all stay with me here. See you all next week!
Nice whitepaper by VMware explaining why to choose VMware View over Microsoft RDS 2012. You can directly access the whitepaper using the link below.
VMware has put a great online resource together which gives you an overview why to choose VMware View over other VDI solutions. Find videos which explain the benefits of View and how Citrix XenApp i.e. can be improved by using VMware ThinApp.
Yesterday VMware has published the VMware View Client for Windows Store Tech Preview.
The client is usable on Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT operating systems and they can connect to VMware View Server 4.6.1 or later.
Please download the VMware View Client for Windows Store Installation Guide for further instruction.
To side load this application please visit Microsofts MSDN site with instructions: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsstore/archive/2012/04/25/deploying-metro-style-apps-to-businesses.aspx
VMware has released a new version of their application virtualization solution ThinApp today. The new version 4.7.3 Build 891762 adds support for packaging and execution of virtualized applications on Windows 8 operating systems. Of course it only supports Intel but NOT ARM technology. Next to this main feature VMware added a new package.ini parameter which prevents applications from loading Global Hook DLL’s if they’re already loaded by another application.
You can download the release here: http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/
VMware has also fixed loads of issues with prior versions:
- When you start virtualized Internet Explorer 7 on a Windows 8 or Windows Server system, the following error message is displayed:
Cannot find 'url'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.
- Virtualized Microsoft Outlook 2003 running on Windows 2000 fails when it receives an e-mail message containing an embedded object as an attachment.
- When you start virtualized applications for the first time, an access violation error message is displayed. This issue is observed for applications virtualized with ThinApp 4.7.2.
- Virtualized Internet Explorer 6.0 stops responding when you attempt to open a PDF file from the Acrobat Reader X installed on the system.
- ThinApp MSI upgrade option fails when you try to upgrade virtualized Mozilla Firefox 12 to Mozilla Firefox 13.
- Crossbase application virtualized using ThinApp 4.7.1 fails to start on Windows XP and Windows 7 operating systems.
- Compared to ThinApp versions 4.6.1 or 4.7 the performance of virtualized Firefox 12 is inconsistent on ThinApp 4.7.1.
- Service Center Perigrine virtualized with ThinApp fails to start on Windows 7 and Windows 7 X64 operating systems.
- When you activate EULA with RuntimeEULA=1 in Package.ini file and run the application package, ThinApp displays older version of the VMware logo and EULA text.
- On a Windows 8 operating system, if you open a file with a virtualized instance of PowerPoint 2003, PowerPoint fails with the following error message:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint has stopped working.
- When you try to run the virtual version of Lotus Notes whose sandbox path is on a Novell share, the application fails with the following error message:
Unable to access data directory 'C:\Programme\IBM\Lotus\Notes' using the preferences file 'J:Notes\Data\notes.ini'
- When you attempt to use the record function of a HP Vugen application virtualized with ThinApp 4.7 the application fails with the following error:
iexplorer.exe- Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.
- Virtual version of Eclipse might not recognize the system path and the system environment variable if the user modifies them.
- If the directory in the DFS share is hosted on a NetApp device, in the user interface ThinApp might not display directories or files present on the DFS share.
- ThinApp forces the repair of the Microsoft Office 2010, when you launch some instances of Microsoft Excel from the virtual version of SAP 7.20.
- When you open and close a PDF file multiple times using Adobe Acrobat in virtual Internet Explorer 6.0 as an inline viewer, virtual IE 6.0 fails due to increased memory usage.
- Virtual Internet Explorer 6.0 fails to access any Website on Windows 8 operating system.
- Internet Explorer does not redirect the Thindirect URLs to the SeaMonkey browser even, if you enable the Thindirect plug-in.
- When you perform Appsync upgrade of an application from ThinApp 4.7.0 to 4.7.2 it results in the following error message:
The system cannot find the file specified. For more information see Knowledge Base article 2036567.
- The ThinDirect plug-in allows only the virtual Internet Explorer 6.0 to redirect the URLs to the native browser. On other browsers the redirection option might not work.
- When you enable the Turn on User Account Control option in Control Panel, virtual Internet Explorer 8.0 and Internet Explorer 9.0 might not display Internet Explorer help topics.
- Virtualized Google Chrome browser fails to start on Windows 8 operating system.
- On Windows 8 operating system, you cannot save a file with .pdf or .xps extension with virtualized Microsoft Word 2010 or Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.
- ThinApp fails to start virtual URL package on Windows 8 operating system.
- Virtualized Internet Explorer 7.0 fails to start on Windows 8 operating system.
- In virtualized Internet Explorer 7.0 when you select What’s new in windows Server 2012 option from the help menu, Internet Explorer fails with the following error message:
Internet Explorer has stopped working
This issue is observed on the Windows Server 2012 operating system.
- When you start the virtual version of HP User Generator for the first time, the application displays the following error message:
spill file I/O error.
- In virtualized Internet Explorer 6.0 the Browse option in the Certificate Import Wizard (Tools >Internet Options >Content >Certificates >Import) might not work. This issue is observed on Windows 8 operating system.
- On Windows 8 operating system, when you attempt to print a Web page from virtualized Internet Explorer 6.0 the application displays the following Printing error message:
An error occurred during this operation.
- When you start Camtasia Studio virtualized with ThinApp 4.7.1 the application fails with the following error message:
Camtasia Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- ThinApp sandbox might not save the changes made to the virtual version of Mozilla Firefox on Windows 8 operating system.
- On Windows 8 operating system, the buttons on the Manage Add-ons page of virtualized Internet Explorer 9.0 might not work.
- The Protected Mode settings of the virtualized Internet Explorer 9.0 are inconsistent with the native Internet Explorer settings on Windows 8 operating system.
- Blackberry 9780 Simulator’s browser might not start on ThinApp which is deployed on a system with Windows XP operating system.
- Some Log monitor features like Profiling Data and Function Usages do not work on official ThinApp builds of Buildweb.
I’m happy to share this with you as I guess that this is breaking news! (Even if the news is a few days old already)
Microsoft has updated their Client Virtualization in Microsoft Lync 2010 document and added support for VMware View 5.0. An interesting point here is that View is fully supported and as of the Microsoft Whitepaper with XenDesktop they’re not supporting video in Lync. (Page 16)
Please feel free to download the whitepaper directly from Microsoft’s website.
Some customers have reported issues with the VMware View Client connecting to a Windows 7 Desktop after installing a specific Microsoft Patch. In the VMware Knowledge Base you’ll find the resolution for this issue. Check the article 1034262. The problem occurs after installing one of these Microsoft patches, 2482017 or 2467023.