Archive for the ‘iOS’ tag
Microsoft has released the third update of the Lync client for Windows Phone and iOS on iPad and iPhone. The downloads are now available from the platforms app stores. The new update delivers two main improvements which includes the ability to join a Lync meeting without having a Lync account and and starting a unscheduled meeting with multiple participants from a mobile device. The Lync team had published a more detailed blog post with screenshots. Please follow the link to the official Lync blog.
Yesterday at VMworld Scott Davis, VMware’s Desktop CTO has announced a new project called Orcha. This new projects leverages VMware Horizon Workspace and VMware Horizon View. But what does it exactly? When a user is working on an iPad an wants to open a Microsoft Visio file i.e. the iOS has usually no viewer for those kind of files. If a user opens this file within the Horizon Workspace app on the iPad he gets redirected to his View desktop to show the file. But watch the following video to make it clear.
Yesterday VMware release Feature Pack 2 for VMware Horizon View 5.2 which introduces two new features called Real-Time Audio-Video and Flash URL Redirection. It also includes some very useful improvements to Unity Touch.
- Flash URL Redirection - Customers can now use Adobe Media Server and multicast to deliver live video events in a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) environment. To deliver multicast live video streams within a VDI environment, the media stream should be sent directly from the media source to the endpoints, bypassing the virtual desktops. The Flash URL Redirection feature supports this capability by intercepting and redirecting the ShockWave Flash (SWF) file from the virtual desktop to the client endpoint.
- Real-Time Audio-Video - Real-Time Audio-Video allows Horizon View users to run Skype, Webex, Google Hangouts, and other online conferencing applications on their virtual desktops. With Real-Time Audio-Video, webcam and audio devices that are connected locally to the client system are redirected to the remote desktop. This feature redirects video and audio data to the desktop with a significantly lower bandwidth than can be achieved by using USB redirection. Real-Time Audio-Video is compatible with standard conferencing applications and supports standard webcams, audio USB devices, and analog audio input.
- Unity Touch improvements - You can now add a favorite application or file from a list of search results, and you can now use the Unity Touch sidebar to minimize a running application’s window. Requires users to connect to their desktops from VMware Horizon View Client for iOS 2.1 or later, or VMware Horizon View Client for Android 2.1 or later.
Also there are several improvements to the View HTML Access feature which now includes localization support for French, German, and Traditional Chinese
To get the lastest features you need to be on version 5.2 of Horizon View and also make sure you use the latest clients on Windows (5.4), iOS and Android (2.1)
Besides the official documentation on the new features I want to highlight two article from Andre Leibovici.
- Understanding Horizon View Flash URL Redirection
- Understanding Horizon View Real-Time Audio-Video (RTAV)
You can find all information about the new Feature Pack 2 on my.vmware.com or directly via the buttons below.
In Horizon View version 5.2 + View Feature Pack 1 VMware introduced the new Unity Touch feature formally known as Project AppShift. Unity Touch is a very cool integration of Windows apps and documents in the VMware Horizon View Client for iOS and Android devices. In the screenshots you can see the Unity Touch tab which gives the user direct access to their documents or installed applications on the virtual Windows desktop. This is cool as the user doesn’t need to touch on the screen, go to the start menu etc. If you go back to the screenshot, you can see a description “Favorite applications.” At this point the user can define his favorite apps so he doesn’t need to choose “All programs” first to find an application.
So it would also make sense if IT could preconfigure this favorite apps with the most common applications, like Outlook, Word or other productivity tools. In a nutshell it is only editing the Windows Registry on the virtual desktop.
If you want to learn how it works please check this document: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/horizon-view/horizon-view-52-feature-pack-document.pdf
VMware has published the VMware Horizon Workplace app to the Apple AppStore.
Source (Screenshots): Apple AppStore
VMware Horizon Workspace for iOS enables secure, anywhere access to files, applications and View Desktops from any device. To use VMware Horizon Workspace you need an account on your company’s internal VMware Horizon Workspace system, please contact your system administrator for details.
*View all your files from your other computers and devices.
*Collaborate with people within or external to your organization.
*Upload new and manage your files and folders.
*View files even when offline.
*Access your enterprise applications from anywhere.
*Once device is authorized, no need to remember extra passwords.
*Open your View Desktop with HTML Access or View Client for iOS.
*Easily manage your device and data, including the ability to remote wipe from a central web console.
*Works with iOS 6.x and above
Just before VMworld 2009 in Europe VMware acquired Trango, a company which developed a hypervisor for mobile phones. A year after they came up with Horizon Mobile aka MVP which is a Tier 2 hypervisor based on Android which makes it possible to run a second Android instance in a virtual machine. A great solution for companies who think about BYOD for their employees but with a restriction: The device must run Android! Today there was a new video published on Youtube which shows the Horizon Mobile solution for iOS the first time. Check this out – Awesome!
The new version of the VMware View Client is available for download. The new version comes with some great features.
- Optimized performance for VMware View 5
- Support for iOS5 including AirPlay
- Presentation Mode for use with external display and AirPlay
- Embedded RSA soft token simplifies login to desktop
- Background tasking to move between Windows and iOS apps
BTW: The new Android client is available too!