Yesterday at the Build conference 2014 in San Francisco Microsoft has officially announced the new Windows Phone 8.1. version with loads of great new features for the end user. Windows Phone 8.x. is gaining more market share from day to day and with the new features for enterprises it’s even more interesting for businesses.
With the new version available soon you will get changes in:
- Mobile Devices Management
- Windows App Platform Convergence
- Enterprise Wipe
- Enhanced Asset Management and User Assistance
- Enterprise WiFi
- Assigned Access
- External Storage
To learn more about update please go TechNet.
Yesterday there was some exiting news: Microsoft released Office for the iPad! You can now use your well known Office suite on your mobile Apple device. You can download the apps from the Apple AppStore. For using Office on the iPad a Office 365 subscription is necessary. But with the subscription you can’t only use Office on the tablet, you can also use it on up to 5 devices in total including PC’s and Mac’s. By the way, like Office Mobile for Windows Phone, the Android phones and iPhone version is free!
Check the following blog article for more details.
Great video which shows how robust ruggedized devices can be. Funny.
Microsoft has released a new beta version of Project Siena yesterday. It comes with loads of new, very cool features. i.e.
- Social connections and instant communications
- Text to speech, translation, voice recognition
- Integration to SaaS
Please follow the link to the Siena blog to learn more.
Downloads and other information are available here: ProjectSiena
As evaluating VDI can be complex and time consuming, Microsoft has created the Virtual Desktop Starter Kit (VDI SK). The VDI SK is a PowerShell-based kit that can automate a non-production deployment of Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Services VDI solution. The kit deploys a Remote Desktop Connection Broker, the Remote Desktop Session Host, a Remote Desktop Web Access and the Remote Desktop Virtualization Host for testing and evaluation.
To learn more about the VDI SK please follow the link to the Technet Blog.
I work with OneNote for years now. If I remember correctly I’ve started to use it in 2003 or 2004. A great app which is now free, on every platform – including Mac. This is great as you can use it on a Windows PC, Tablet, Phone, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android devices and even on the web. The notes taken are always in sync.
Image source: Microsoft
Image Source: Microsoft
Today Microsoft announced the Surface 2 AT&T 4G LTE version that will be available for $679 USD soon. To get more information on this, please visit the Microsoft Surface blog.
Learn more about the Surface 2 here: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface-2
Image Source: Softpedia
Mary Jo Foley brought on Twitter to my attention that Microsoft has released new versions of their RDP clients for MacOS and iOS.
Microsoft has published a very useful new tool for Windows Phone. With Office Lens you can trim and enhance pictures of whiteboards and documents taken with your mobile and save them to OneNote. Actually it is similar to a scanner but you have it in your pocket. Here’s an example of what the app does.
Image source: Microsoft
If you want to learn more about the app please follow the link or just search for the app on your Windows Phone.
Link: Windows Phone Website
The Surface system firmware has been updated on 11/03/2014. The new version comes with great enhancements which you can find in the list below.
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 3/11/2014” when you view your update history.
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.04.0450) improves experience when using BitLocker so that a Surface Cover can provide PIN input.
- Surface Touch Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.262.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
- Surface Type Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.262.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update Device (v2.0.268.0) provides support for Surface Power Cover.
- Surface Cover Telemetry (v184.108.40.206) improves stability and experience for Surface Covers.
- Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller (v14.69.24052.168) resolves wireless network connectivity issues.
- Marvell AVASTAR Wireless Composite Device (v14.69.24052.168) improves Miracast support.
- Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth ®Radio Adapter (v14.69.24052.168) updated as part of a driver package that includes the Marvell Wireless Network Controller and Marvell Wireless Composite Device. There are no Bluetooth updates in this version of the driver.
- Intel(R) Display Audio (v6.16.00.3135) improves Miracast support.
- Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3431) improves Miracast support and enables daisy chaining of monitors using DisplayPort 1.2.
- Intel WiDi Audio Device (v220.127.116.11) improves Miracast support.