As evaluating VDI can be complex and time consuming, Microsoft has created the Virtual Desktop Starter Kit (VDI SK). The VDI SK is a PowerShell-based kit that can automate a non-production deployment of Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Services VDI solution. The kit deploys a Remote Desktop Connection Broker, the Remote Desktop Session Host, a Remote Desktop Web Access and the Remote Desktop Virtualization Host for testing and evaluation.
To learn more about the VDI SK please follow the link to the Technet Blog.
I work with OneNote for years now. If I remember correctly I’ve started to use it in 2003 or 2004. A great app which is now free, on every platform – including Mac. This is great as you can use it on a Windows PC, Tablet, Phone, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android devices and even on the web. The notes taken are always in sync.
Image source: Microsoft
Image Source: Microsoft
Today Microsoft announced the Surface 2 AT&T 4G LTE version that will be available for $679 USD soon. To get more information on this, please visit the Microsoft Surface blog.
Learn more about the Surface 2 here: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface-2
Image Source: Softpedia
Mary Jo Foley brought on Twitter to my attention that Microsoft has released new versions of their RDP clients for MacOS and iOS.
Microsoft has published a very useful new tool for Windows Phone. With Office Lens you can trim and enhance pictures of whiteboards and documents taken with your mobile and save them to OneNote. Actually it is similar to a scanner but you have it in your pocket. Here’s an example of what the app does.
Image source: Microsoft
If you want to learn more about the app please follow the link or just search for the app on your Windows Phone.
Link: Windows Phone Website
The Surface system firmware has been updated on 11/03/2014. The new version comes with great enhancements which you can find in the list below.
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 3/11/2014” when you view your update history.
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.04.0450) improves experience when using BitLocker so that a Surface Cover can provide PIN input.
- Surface Touch Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.262.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
- Surface Type Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.262.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update Device (v2.0.268.0) provides support for Surface Power Cover.
- Surface Cover Telemetry (v18.104.22.168) improves stability and experience for Surface Covers.
- Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller (v14.69.24052.168) resolves wireless network connectivity issues.
- Marvell AVASTAR Wireless Composite Device (v14.69.24052.168) improves Miracast support.
- Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth ®Radio Adapter (v14.69.24052.168) updated as part of a driver package that includes the Marvell Wireless Network Controller and Marvell Wireless Composite Device. There are no Bluetooth updates in this version of the driver.
- Intel(R) Display Audio (v6.16.00.3135) improves Miracast support.
- Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3431) improves Miracast support and enables daisy chaining of monitors using DisplayPort 1.2.
- Intel WiDi Audio Device (v22.214.171.124) improves Miracast support.
If you live in the US and you own a Microsoft Surface Pro, Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2 you might be interested in the Surface Power Cover which can be pre-ordered at the Microsoft Online Store. (see Link). With the Power Cover you can increase your battery life by up to 70%.
Image Source: Microsoft
Microsoft has published a great guide for Windows 8 which gives you an overview of how the OS functionality can be used for businesses. I really like the last few slides as they explain all important keyboard shortcuts and swipes.
Windows 8.1 brings together everything you do across all your devices whether at work or on the go. Windows helps you stay productive and connected while mobile. Windows allows you to create a truly one of a kind experience that is made for the way you work. Whether you’re brand new to Windows 8.1, or just want a refresher, this quick guide will show you the basics and beyond.
I’m back from vacation and it seems that in the last 3 weeks loads has going on! Microsoft has introduced Project Sienna which is a great tool for the LOB to create applications for Windows 8. Actually it’s a WYSIWYG Editor which helps to easily create a GUI for accessing data. On the TechNet blog you’ll find detailed Information and a great Video which Shows the power of Sienna. Please follow the link to TechNet to learn more.