VMware has released a new version of their application virtualization solution ThinApp today. The new version 4.7.3 Build 891762 adds support for packaging and execution of virtualized applications on Windows 8 operating systems. Of course it only supports Intel but NOT ARM technology. Next to this main feature VMware added a new package.ini parameter which prevents applications from loading Global Hook DLL’s if they’re already loaded by another application.
You can download the release here: http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/
VMware has also fixed loads of issues with prior versions:
- When you start virtualized Internet Explorer 7 on a Windows 8 or Windows Server system, the following error message is displayed:
Cannot find 'url'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.
- Virtualized Microsoft Outlook 2003 running on Windows 2000 fails when it receives an e-mail message containing an embedded object as an attachment.
- When you start virtualized applications for the first time, an access violation error message is displayed. This issue is observed for applications virtualized with ThinApp 4.7.2.
- Virtualized Internet Explorer 6.0 stops responding when you attempt to open a PDF file from the Acrobat Reader X installed on the system.
- ThinApp MSI upgrade option fails when you try to upgrade virtualized Mozilla Firefox 12 to Mozilla Firefox 13.
- Crossbase application virtualized using ThinApp 4.7.1 fails to start on Windows XP and Windows 7 operating systems.
- Compared to ThinApp versions 4.6.1 or 4.7 the performance of virtualized Firefox 12 is inconsistent on ThinApp 4.7.1.
- Service Center Perigrine virtualized with ThinApp fails to start on Windows 7 and Windows 7 X64 operating systems.
- When you activate EULA with RuntimeEULA=1 in Package.ini file and run the application package, ThinApp displays older version of the VMware logo and EULA text.
- On a Windows 8 operating system, if you open a file with a virtualized instance of PowerPoint 2003, PowerPoint fails with the following error message:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint has stopped working.
- When you try to run the virtual version of Lotus Notes whose sandbox path is on a Novell share, the application fails with the following error message:
Unable to access data directory 'C:\Programme\IBM\Lotus\Notes' using the preferences file 'J:Notes\Data\notes.ini'
- When you attempt to use the record function of a HP Vugen application virtualized with ThinApp 4.7 the application fails with the following error:
iexplorer.exe- Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.
- Virtual version of Eclipse might not recognize the system path and the system environment variable if the user modifies them.
- If the directory in the DFS share is hosted on a NetApp device, in the user interface ThinApp might not display directories or files present on the DFS share.
- ThinApp forces the repair of the Microsoft Office 2010, when you launch some instances of Microsoft Excel from the virtual version of SAP 7.20.
- When you open and close a PDF file multiple times using Adobe Acrobat in virtual Internet Explorer 6.0 as an inline viewer, virtual IE 6.0 fails due to increased memory usage.
- Virtual Internet Explorer 6.0 fails to access any Website on Windows 8 operating system.
- Internet Explorer does not redirect the Thindirect URLs to the SeaMonkey browser even, if you enable the Thindirect plug-in.
- When you perform Appsync upgrade of an application from ThinApp 4.7.0 to 4.7.2 it results in the following error message:
The system cannot find the file specified. For more information see Knowledge Base article 2036567.
- The ThinDirect plug-in allows only the virtual Internet Explorer 6.0 to redirect the URLs to the native browser. On other browsers the redirection option might not work.
- When you enable the Turn on User Account Control option in Control Panel, virtual Internet Explorer 8.0 and Internet Explorer 9.0 might not display Internet Explorer help topics.
- Virtualized Google Chrome browser fails to start on Windows 8 operating system.
- On Windows 8 operating system, you cannot save a file with .pdf or .xps extension with virtualized Microsoft Word 2010 or Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.
- ThinApp fails to start virtual URL package on Windows 8 operating system.
- Virtualized Internet Explorer 7.0 fails to start on Windows 8 operating system.
- In virtualized Internet Explorer 7.0 when you select What’s new in windows Server 2012 option from the help menu, Internet Explorer fails with the following error message:
Internet Explorer has stopped working
This issue is observed on the Windows Server 2012 operating system.
- When you start the virtual version of HP User Generator for the first time, the application displays the following error message:
spill file I/O error.
- In virtualized Internet Explorer 6.0 the Browse option in the Certificate Import Wizard (Tools >Internet Options >Content >Certificates >Import) might not work. This issue is observed on Windows 8 operating system.
- On Windows 8 operating system, when you attempt to print a Web page from virtualized Internet Explorer 6.0 the application displays the following Printing error message:
An error occurred during this operation.
- When you start Camtasia Studio virtualized with ThinApp 4.7.1 the application fails with the following error message:
Camtasia Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- ThinApp sandbox might not save the changes made to the virtual version of Mozilla Firefox on Windows 8 operating system.
- On Windows 8 operating system, the buttons on the Manage Add-ons page of virtualized Internet Explorer 9.0 might not work.
- The Protected Mode settings of the virtualized Internet Explorer 9.0 are inconsistent with the native Internet Explorer settings on Windows 8 operating system.
- Blackberry 9780 Simulator’s browser might not start on ThinApp which is deployed on a system with Windows XP operating system.
- Some Log monitor features like Profiling Data and Function Usages do not work on official ThinApp builds of Buildweb.
- None Found